Selected quotes from a great thread at I Love Music: “Honestly criticize your favourite bands/artists”
- Neil Young thinks the answer to everything is dippy environmentalism. Save the planet. Be the rain. Preserve natural beauty, oh Mother Earth.
- Kool Keith has never been able to repeat anything as brilliant as Dr. Octagon because he’s become obsessed with booty (In reply to this, someone posted “And I suppose that’s a criticism?”)
- Cezanne snored.
- hey scott walker! sometimes, when you make music, its fun to release it!
- Aesop Rock often has no idea what the fuck he’s talking about
- there are no good jay-z albums.
- Xiu Xiu — … nah, too easy.
- Tom Waits should play more gigs. Who is he, the queen of Sheba?
- Ohh, and in a lot of Bob Dylan songs, it sounds like he goes “Oh yeah, I’m Bob Dylan!” and then plays some harmonica.
- Iggy Pop should wear at least one layer of upper body clothing at all times.
- prince: sometimes funk is NOT its own reward.
- The thematic range of Trina’s lyrics is a lot narrower than her butt.
- R. Kelly is probably guilty.
[My contribution: “Kim Gordon sounds like when a homeless person comes onto public transport rambling to herself, and everyone else averts their eyes and hopes she doesn’t sit down next to them.” And then I put Sonic Nurse on and within the first 10 seconds of Pattern Recognition (track 1) I was sorry for what I’d said.]
[I have been meaning to get off my lazy music-writing arse and GO WILD about Sonic Nurse here for a very long time now, but every time I put the album on and try to write about it as I listen, its awesomeness takes over and qij;onvau su/ojcfaeuo aow93nksn;ru…]